Northampton have signed the striker Tom Eaves, who arrives on a free after leaving Rotherham United.

The 32-year-old has signed a two year contract at Sixfields and becomes Northampton’s sixth new signing ahead of the 2024/25 season.

Eaves signs after two years back at Rotherham in a second spell with the Millers, where he scored 6 goals in 35 appearances in all competitions last season.

The striker enjoyed a breakout spell with Gillingham between 2017 and 2019, for whom he scored 40 goals in all competitions.

He followed that up with a 3 season spell with Hull City, whom he helped win promotion from League One in the 2020/21 campaign, before a further two years in the Championship with Rotherham.

Eaves follows the previously announced signings of James Wilson, Nik Tzanev, Callum Morton, Cameron McGeehan and Jack Baldwin.

Cobblers boss Jon Brady told the club’s official website that he was a great option to bring to the club.

He said, “Tom is a quality addition to the squad.

“He has a physical presence about him and we believe he will blend and balance well with the other strikers we have at the club.

“He isn’t just all about being a physical presence though, he is very mobile and he is capable of skilful finishes as his record shows. He has a good goal to games record.

“He finished last season strongly in the Championship, scoring twice on the final day of the season, and he has spent the last three seasons at that level.

“When a player with Tom’s attributes, his experience, his goalscoring record and his pedigree becomes available there is always a lot of interest and we are delighted to be able to welcome him to Sixfields.”

Milton Keynes City Council is seeking local views on its proposal to extend the ban on anti-social drinking in some public spaces in the city.

The Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) is due to expire in October 2024, which is an order designed to specifically tackle anti-social behaviour connected with drinking alcohol.

The PSPO is not a blanket ban on drinking alcohol in public spaces, but is designed to tackle anti-social behaviour related to drinking in public spaces.

Under this arrangement, the option for people to drink responsibly is retained, while the PSPO is there to support the city council, The Parks Trust, and police in working together to tackle anti-social behaviour and support community safety.

The PSPO allows police or other authorised officers to be able to ask someone causing anti-social behaviour to stop drinking and hand over their alcohol or be issued with a £100 fixed penalty notice if that person does not comply.

The city council is conducting a public consultation to seek feedback on its proposals before a formal decision is made in September 2024. These views, along with the evidence provided by the police, will determine whether the order is extended.

Feedback can be submitted through this online survey or by emailing [email protected] before Friday 16 August. Further information can be found on the city council’s website.

Cabinet Member for Community Safety, Cllr Amber McQuillan, said, “Through this PSPO we’ll be able to continue to take action on alcohol-fuelled anti-social behaviour if necessary. This doesn’t target those people who enjoy a drink responsibly. We’re keen to hear from local people about what has worked well while the PSPO has been in place and what could be improved.”

Max Dean has left MK Dons after the striker signed for Belgian side KAA Gent.

The 20-year-old has joined the Belgian Pro League side for an undisclosed fee and has signed a four year deal to move to Belgium.

Some reports had linked Dean with French side Toulouse, who had previously signed Rhys Healey from the Dons, but Dean will instead join a side that will compete in next season’s Europa Conference League.

Dean moves after an 18 month spell with MK Dons, having joined the side from Stadium MK from Leeds United in the 2023 January transfer window.

He scored 20 goals in 43 appearances in all competitions for the Dons last season, and was the team’s top scorer last season.

The Dons’ Sporting Director Liam Sweeting told the official MK Dons website of his praise for the striker’s work at the club.

He said, “First and foremost, we are extremely proud of what Max has achieved with us and the opportunity this has created for him as he begins a new chapter in his career.”

“Like many players throughout the club’s history, Max joined us looking to forge a path in the game and the outcome is one for us all to celebrate. Once again, our club has provided a platform, pathway and developmental environment that allowed Max to showcase his qualities – and create great memories for us all in the process. He is the latest example of what players can achieve at MK Dons.

“Without a doubt, Max shared a special connection with our fan base, and while we made every effort to offer him a new and improved contract and keep him in Milton Keynes, sometimes an opportunity to test yourself playing top-flight football in another country is just too appealing to turn down.”

MK Dons have signed forward Callum Hendry, with the player joining the Dons from Salford City.

Hendry moves from Salford to Milton Keynes for an undisclosed fee and has signed a contract of undisclosed length at Stadium MK.

The 26-year-old is the Dons’ ninth signing ahead of the new season, after the previously confirmed arrivals of Conor Lemonheigh-Evans, Luke Offord, Laurence Maguire, Tommy Leigh, Sam Sherring, Joe Pritchard, Liam Kelly and Tom Carroll.

Hendry had spent two years at Salford, having joined the Ammies from Scottish side St Johnstone in 2022.

Last season, Hendry grabbed 9 goals in 30 appearances, including a hat-trick in an early season win over Tranmere, despite the striker’s season being compromised by injury.

He had scored 14 in 49 in his first season in English football, having exclusively played in Scotland before the move to Salford.

Hendry told the official MK Dons website that he was impressed with the club’s facilities and with what his new boss Mike Williamson was pitching to him as the way he should fit in.

He said, “I came here last season with Salford and I was very impressed with the facilities, it’s a massive club, I’m just looking forward to playing in that stadium, the pitch looks magnificent!

“Mike made that clear, what he wants from me and how he wants to use my energy, I need to be in the right place at the right time and score some goals, that’s my job!”

Police are appealing for witnesses following an attempted robbery in Stony Stratford.

The incident happened around 11.55am yesterday (11/7) on Wolverton Road, near the Domino’s Pizza takeaway.

During the incident, two men attempted to snatch a woman’s handbag from her hands.

The victim, a woman in her fifties, yanked her bag back and the men ran off.

Both offenders are described as around 5ft 6ins tall, under the age of 20, wearing light grey tracksuit bottoms and grey hoodies.

Investigating officer Detective Sergeant Thomas Booth, based at Milton Keynes police station, said, “We are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed this attempted robbery, or anyone with information about what happened, to please come forward.

“We are also asking anyone who may have dash-cam or CCTV footage that could assist our enquiry to please upload it our online portal or if you have information please call 101, quoting reference 43240328892.

“Or if you do not wish to speak to police then you can contact Crimestoppers 100% anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

Syndication Feeds

feed-image Feed Entries

Syndication Feeds (atom)

feed-image Feed Entries