
Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was racially abused and assaulted on a train between London and Milton Keynes.
The incident happened between 6pm and 7pm on Tuesday 7 October in the first-class section of an Avanti West Coast train travelling from London Euston to Wolverhampton.
During the incident, a woman racially abused a man before the victim was later grabbed by the neck by another man who was on the train.
Both the man and the woman got off of the train at Milton Keynes Central.
British Transport Police are appealing for anyone who overheard the incident, or saw either the woman or the man involved.
They can do so by contacting BTP by texting 61016 or by calling 0800 40 50 40, quoting reference 671 of 7 October. People can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Milton Keynes City Council has been awarded almost £800,000 in government funding for projects to use robotics in public spaces.
The funding, which is provided as part of the Department for Science and Innovation’s Regulators’ Pioneer Fund, will power the development of RoboPASS. This is intended as a licensing system designed to safely integrate multi-purpose robots into everyday public life.
MK City Council said the funding will help them explore considerations that other local authorities need to take before allowing robotics operations.
In a statement, the Council said the project could see a greater presence of robots in the city.
They said, “From inspecting infrastructure and supporting environmental services, robots from the project could eventually become a familiar sight on redways across the city.
“This initiative places Milton Keynes at the forefront of the smart city movement, with its potential to reduce costs and improve public services. The city council also hopes to launch a Smart City Testbed prospectus at the end of the project, explaining how other robotics companies can launch trials and services in the city. This will attract private sector innovation and investment, and further cement the city’s reputation as a hub for cutting-edge technology.”
To deliver RoboPASS, the City Council said that they will be partnering with Smart City Consultancy (SMCCL) and the National Committee on Robotics Regulations and Standards, comprising of 15 regulatory and standards bodies and national public infrastructure organisations. Together, they aim to create a scalable model that can be rolled out across the UK.
The city council was also previously successful in Regulators’ Pioneer Fund round three, and used this funding to investigate the practical barriers to drone operations in the city.
Deputy Leader of MK City Council, Cllr Lauren Townsend, said, “We’re proud to be leading the way in smart city innovation and this project is a vital step in making robotics a safe and practical part of everyday life. By creating a clear framework, we’re unlocking new opportunities to support public services, improve infrastructure and reduce costs. At the same time, we’re attracting investment, creating jobs and driving economic growth.”
Last month, around 2,000 people attended Milton Keynes Tech Week, showing MK’s growing influence in the tech sector. One in three city jobs are based in the technology sector.
The UK Government’s Regulatory Innovation Office (RIO) funds regulators and local authorities to trial new regulatory approaches enabling businesses to bring innovative products to the market quicker. In October 2025, through the Fourth Round of the Regulators’ Pioneer Fund, the RIO has awarded Milton Keynes City Council a grant of £775,000 via the Regulators’ Pioneer Fund (RPF) to deliver the RoboPASS project.

Jack Wilshere picked up his first win as Luton Town manager as they beat Northampton Town 1-0 at Sixfields.
Lamine Fanne scored the game’s only goal, as the Hatters picked up a first win in four outings and leapfrogged their opponents in the League One table.
The result lifts Luton up to 10th, with the side from Bedfordshire sat 5 points off the play-offs, while Northampton slide to 16th, with the Cobblers one of 4 sides on 17 points after 14 games.
Both sides entered the contest off the back of defeats in their last outings, with Luton losing to Mansfield in their first game under Wilshere last time out and Northampton beaten at Reading in a midweek encounter.
The visitors wasted a good early chance to get an opener, as Nahki Wells fired over from close range after being picked out by Jordan Clark.
Jack Perkins had a strike deflected wide in Northampton’s best early opportunity, but the best chances in a tight first half came for the visitors as Gideon Kodua had a strike deflected wide before Nigel Lonwijk saw a header saved.
The game opened up after the break, with Clark having a strike blocked by Jordan Thorniley before a Northampton counter saw Josh Keeley make a good stop to deny the hosts’ Tyrese Fornah.
Luton continued to press, with Kodua hitting the bar before substitute Jerry Yates forced a save out of Ross Fitzsimons in the Northampton goal.
By now, the game was a much more open contest, with Yates again denied by Fitzsimons before Luton survived a major defensive scramble.
Northampton’s best chance of the opening 74 minutes fell for Wheatley, but the striker on loan from Manchester United could only fire at Keeley.
That miss would prove costly when Luton opened the scoring 3 minutes later. Isaiah Jones broke down the flank for the visitors and picked out Fanne, who just about bundled the ball home to put Luton in front at Sixfields.
Luton then had to go on a rear-guard action. Keeley made a fine stop to deny former Luton man Cameron McGeehan, before a big moment in the final minute of stoppage time when former Northampton man Hakeem Odoffin made a crucial intervention to block Wheatley on the line with Keeley beaten.
That proved to be a moment that secured an away victory, as Luton ground out victory to get Wilshere his first win in charge.

MK Dons missed out on the chance to go top of League 2 as a 2-1 loss at Bromley saw them lose for the first time in 5 league outings.
Paul Warne’s side had arrived at the Copperjax Community Stadium on the back of 4 wins in a row in League Two and had taken an early lead through Rushian Hepburn-Murphy.
But second half goals by Deji Elerewe and Omar Sowunmi turned the game on its head, as Bromley came from behind to win the match.
The Dons slip to 4th in the league as a result, on a day when defeat for leaders Walsall would have seen them go top. There was a major concern for the Dons from the game, however, as goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray was stretchered off and taken to hospital following a first-half collision.
Things had started brightly for Warne’s Dons when they took the lead with 5 minutes on the clock. After being named ahead of the unwell Callum Paterson, Hepburn-Murphy marked his return to the starting line-up with an early goal when he touched in from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing’s cross.
A major incident then cropped up when MacGillivray collided with Bromley striker Nicke Kabamba as the two battled in the box. Both players were substituted following the collision, with MacGillivray coming off worse and leaving on a stretcher after multiple minutes of on-pitch treatment. Warne later confirmed the Dons goalkeeper was taken to hospital but was talking.
Both sides missed chances late in the half, with the hosts’ Michael Cheek having an effort cleared off the line before Will Collar skimmed wide from a Jon Mellish cross.
In a tight second half, Bromley equalised in the 73rd minute. A cross by Bromley sub and former MK Dons player Brooklyn Ilunga fell for Elerewe, who bundled the ball beyond Dons sub keeper Connal Trueman.
Bromley then found a second goal to complete their comeback 8 minutes later, when Corey Whitely picked out Sowunmi to head the ball home.
MK Dons had little response to that double blow, as they slunk to defeat, and in the process lost an away league match under Paul Warne for the first time.
The Dons face two more away matches coming up, as they travel to Colchester in the FA Cup next weekend before another visit to London when they visit Barnet on November 8th.

The casino that forms part of the XScape leisure complex in Milton Keynes is to reopen next month, now rebranded as MERKUR Casino.
The German-based leisure group MERKUR will be taking over the leisure venue, which first opened as a casino in 2013 and was operated by Aspers until the parent company went into administration earlier this year.
The new-look casino is a site spanning 22,000 sq ft that will house a 1,367 m² gaming floor featuring 72 slot machines, 26 electronic roulette terminals and 15 live gaming tables, complemented by a 4,700 sq ft bar and event space designed for live acts, community events and private functions.
A grand launch event will be held on Saturday 1st November, with the promoters expecting to welcome hundreds of guests including local dignitaries, influencers, journalists, celebrities, and headline performers. The evening will feature live tribute acts, roving performers, and a £10,000 giveaway.
The venue represents a major investment for the brand and a defining moment for the city’s leisure economy by bringing together cutting-edge gaming, live entertainment and a premium late-night offering under one spectacular roof.
Mark Schertle, Chief Operating Officer at MERKUR Casino UK Ltd, said, “Our head office is based here in Milton Keynes, so this opening means a great deal to us. We’ve worked with local suppliers, created over 100 new roles and built a venue that reflects everything this city stands for – energy, innovation and community spirit. We’re proud to create these opportunities in our home city.
“We wanted to create something that genuinely stands out and a venue that feels exciting and welcoming, where guests can enjoy premium gaming, live entertainment and a vibrant atmosphere. Our goal is to offer an experience that sets a new standard for regional entertainment. We’re proud to create a venue that enhances Milton Keynes’ already vibrant nightlife and offers something new for the city’s leisure scene.”
Dan Murphy, centre director at Xscape Milton Keynes, added, “We’re thrilled to welcome MERKUR Casino to Xscape Milton Keynes. The casino has always been a landmark part of Xscape’s entertainment offering, and we’re delighted to see it returning under new ownership. MERKUR’s significant investment has transformed the venue into a modern and dynamic destination, strengthening the mix of leisure experiences we offer our visitors. We’re very much looking forward to welcoming guests into the new casino when the doors open on 1st November.”