The fire department that covers Milton Keynes have reported dealing with multiple outdoor fires in the last few days.

Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue covered incidents that broke out over the course of the last few days, with the fire department reporting to incidents in Bow Brickhill, the Blue Lagoon Nature Reserve and Wolverton Park.

The incident in Bow Brickhill on the southern edge of Milton Keynes was a smouldering unattended campfire in woodland near to the village. The incident was reported around 11:20am yesterday (23/06).

Two water backpacks, buckets of water and haydrags were equipment used by the fire department, with a single crew from the West Ashland station used to deal with the situation.

The incident at Blue Lagoon was reported just before 5pm (23/06) today after fire among long reeds. An area measuring around fifty by twenty meters was affected.

One crew from West Ashland attended, with the attending firefighters using two water backpacks, buckets of water, beaters and a thermal imaging camera.

A previous incident had been reported on Sunday (22/06) around 5:45pm at a playpark in Wolverton Park in the north of Milton Keynes.

Firefighters were called to fire in a play area, which they were able to extinguish. Bucks Fire and Rescue reported the play area was approximately 30% damaged by fire.

Firefighters in a crew from West Ashland used water backpacks and buckets of water.

Outdoor fires have been reported in a long period of dry weather, with the Met Office declaring the spring of 2025 as the warmest and sunniest in the UK on record.

Police are appealing for witnesses to an indecent exposure that happened outside a health centre in Milton Keynes.

The incident happened a around 12.28pm on Friday 13 June outside Sovereign Medical Centre in Sovereign Drive, Pennyland.

Two men were standing outside the health centre before one of them indecently exposed himself. The victim, who Thames Valley Police said was a woman in her forties, did not sustain any injuries.

The man is described as Asian, aged in his twenties to thirties, around 5ft 8ins to 5ft 9ins tall and of slim build. He was wearing a pink top and grey jogging bottoms.

A 31-year-old man from Milton Keynes has been arrested in connection with this incident and has been released on police bail.

Investigating officer PC Bradley Rice said, “I am appealing to anyone who saw this incident to please contact us.

“If you witnessed anything, were in the area, or have any information that may assist us in our investigation, please come forward.

“Anyone with information can call 101 or make an online report, via our website, quoting crime reference number 43250292450.”

The restaurant chain Smoke & Pepper have announced plans to open a branch in Milton Keynes later this year.

Smoke & Pepper’s new branch will be located in Midsummer Place in Central Milton Keynes, with the eatery being the company’s 7th location as it continues expanding across the country.

The company has now signed deals to open over 40 new restaurants in the coming years, with Milton Keynes one of 6 restaurants that the company intends to open soon.

Sara Ibrahim, Executive Director at Smoke & Pepper said, “We’re honoured to be joining such a vibrant and welcoming city. At Smoke & Pepper, every new opening is about more than just great food, it’s about becoming part of the local flavour.

“We can’t wait to serve the people of Milton Keynes and add something new to your list of favourites. Whether you’re passing through, already a fan, or trying us for the first time, we look forward to welcoming you.”

On the menu at Smoke & Pepper is a litany of options including burgers, fried chicken, wings, loaded fries, wraps, sharing platters, milkshakes and a range of non-alcoholic mojitos.

Signature offerings include the ‘Spice it Up’ burger, featuring two juicy beef patties, lettuce, crispy onion, green chilli, cheese, and Smoke & Pepper’s spicy sauce, all served on a brioche potato bun . The ‘Texan Firebird’ burger delivers a fiery kick with fried chicken, spicy mayo, cheese, lettuce, jalapeños, and red onions.

Simon Martin, General Manager at Midsummer Place, said: “We are delighted to welcome Smoke & Pepper to Midsummer Place. Their unique take on street food-inspired dining is an exciting addition for our visitors and reflects our commitment to offering high-quality, independent food brands in a vibrant setting. The team have built an incredible reputation and we look forward to seeing the buzz their opening will bring to the centre.”

Milton Keynes’ three MPs voted in favour of the government’s assisted dying bill, which passed its third reading in the House of Commons on Friday (20/06).

The third reading of the Terminally Ill Adults (End of Life) bill was the final opportunity for the Commons to vote on the assisted dying bill, which was first unveiled last year and had been subject to amendments.

313 MPs voted in favour of the bill, with 291 voting against. Following the vote, the bill will now be passed for the House of Lords to provide their own scrutiny of the legislation.

Under the bill, terminally ill adults with six months or less to live would receive the right to die once the request has been signed off by two doctors and a High Court judge.

The law was a private member’s bill proposed by Labour backbench MP Kim Leadbeater, with expectations that the bill could become law within the next four years after passing its third reading.

All 3 Milton Keynes area MPs voted for the legislation. MK North MP Chris Curtis, MK Central MP Emily Darlington, and Buckingham & Bletchley MP Callum Anderson were all listed as voting in favour of the bill at this reading, as all 3 had done at the second reading when it was held back in November.

Milton Keynes North MP Curtis said on social media that he had thanks for stories from residents who contacted him about the issue but said after monitoring the bill, he felt assured he could vote in its favour.

He said, “I would like to sincerely thank the hundreds of residents in Milton Keynes North who contacted me about this issue, and who took the time to share their personal stories and depth of feeling with me respectfully and thoughtfully.

“After great and careful consideration, I voted in favour of the Bill today. It is my belief that there should be a safe and dignified option available for terminally ill people. I have carefully monitored the Bill’s safeguards throughout this process, and will continue to do so now that it has entered the House of Lords.

“I assure you that at the same time, I remain committed to improving access to high-quality palliative care and will continue to push for greater funding and support for our valued local hospice, Willen Hospice.”

MK Central MP Darlington said, “Unfortunately I was not called to speak in the chamber as there were so many MPs wishing to contribute to the debate, so I shared a video on my social media explaining why I voted for the bill and sharing the speech I would’ve made.

“I want to thank everyone who took time to write to me about the Assisted Dying Bill, especially for the heartfelt letters received both in support of and against that I received.”

Buckingham and Bletchley MP Anderson added, “I voted in favour of the Bill, and am pleased that it will now progress to the House of Lords. I see it as an affirmation of compassion, autonomy, and dignity in the face of suffering.

“I know that this is an incredibly emotive issue, and one of the most difficult votes I will ever have to make. I’d like to assure every constituent that I took this decision extremely seriously.”

MK Dons have announced that attacker Jonathan Leko has signed a contract extension to stay with the club.

The 26-year-old’s contract had been due to expire at the end of the 2024/25 season, but MK Dons have confirmed that Leko has agreed a new deal of undisclosed length to remain at the club.

The news of his contract extension marks Leko’s return to the first team picture in Milton Keynes. Leko had been loaned out in 2024 to Burton Albion, only to suffer a serious knee injury on his Burton debut that ruled him out for over a year.

Leko made 9 appearances in the final weeks of the just-concluded season as he made his return from his injuries, including starts in 2 of the Dons’ final 3 games of the season.

Leko had joined MK Dons from Birmingham City in 2023 for an undisclosed fee, and has made 55 appearances for the club in all competitions.

Speaking to the MK Dons website, Leko voiced his happiness to stay in Milton Keynes and looked to push on after recovering from his injuries.

He said, “I’m absolutely buzzing to have signed a new deal with the Dons. Everyone knows how much I love the club and how grateful I am for everything they’ve done for me over the last few years.

“Now it’s all about the new season, I want to show the supporters what I’m all about and be the best version of myself possible.

“I’d like to thank the medical team for being so patient with me last year. This is going to be such a good season, and I can’t wait to get going.”

Dons boss Paul Warne said he was looking forward to working with him next season and was pleased he would still be able to call upon his services next season.

He said, “The first thing you notice about Jonathan is what a wonderful person he is. He’s full of personality and character, and above all else, he just loves football.

“The second thing you notice is just what a talented player he is. He’s done things on the training pitch you just wouldn’t believe. At his best, he’s absolutely unplayable.

“This is a big year for Leks, and it’s up to me, Richie (Barker) and Darren (Potter) to get the best out of him. He’s a competitor, he’ll have to train at his best to get into the team, but I’m sure he will, and that’s why I’m thrilled he’s staying.”

Syndication Feeds

feed-image Feed Entries

Syndication Feeds (atom)

feed-image Feed Entries