
Milton Keynes City Council have confirmed they have found new homes for 46 households previously living in the 1960s-built REEMA blocks in Bletchley.
The City Council said that the move is part of a major programme to improve housing quality and plan for the future of these sites.
In late 2023, the city council announced that it would be taking a phased approach to finding new homes for REEMA blocks tenants. The four blocks, known as Argyll, Stirling, Edinburgh and Sawley House, are now vacant, with tenants having moved into new council homes.
MK City Council said that the move marks the successful completion of phase 1, with phase 2 now underway. It is expected that all REEMA blocks will be empty by the end of 2028.
Each tenant has been supported by a dedicated council colleague who has worked closely with them, meeting them individually to understand their needs and helping them move into a home that better suits their needs.
The City Council have added that they are now preparing for the future of the sites and is looking to begin the search for a contractor to carry out the demolition of the empty buildings. This will allow options to be explored about what can replace them, the funding available and enable conversations to take place with the local community.
A decision to begin the procurement search for a demolition contractor is set for next week.
Cabinet Member for Housing, Cllr Ed Hume, said, “We’re pleased to have supported our tenants into new homes and we’ll continue working with residents in the remaining two phases. This goes beyond just moving people – it’s about giving families somewhere decent to live and a fresh start. With Phase 1 complete, we can also start looking ahead and begin shaping the future of these sites, which includes looking for ways to secure funding and build new council homes.”
In previous years, detailed assessments have been carried out by industry experts, which revealed that the blocks built more than 50 years ago were done so using a method where chemicals were added to concrete.
Although the flats are safe to live in, buildings constructed this way become more susceptible to the weather over time, and the surface of the concrete can become loose. Following the assessments, it was clear that the type and cost of repairs required to keep these old buildings to an expected standard would become unmanageable.
Fencing remains around some areas of the blocks to protect residents from loose concrete. Scaffolding is also in place to allow ongoing monitoring and any surface repairs needed.
This challenge is not unique to Milton Keynes, with councils across the country dealing with similar issues, such as in Leeds, where two 10-storey blocks are being decommissioned.

MK Dons were beaten in their only home pre-season friendly as two late goals saw them lose 2-1 to Peterborough United.
Aaron Collins gave MK Dons the lead in the first half, with the hosts still in front as the game approached the final stages.
But two goals in six minutes turned the game against the Dons’, with Chris Conn-Clarke’s equaliser followed by an Archie Collins strike to put Posh ahead.
It meant defeat for MK Dons in their sole home pre-season friendly, despite having lead for much of the contest against their League One opponents.
Having seen Dons sides beaten by Doncaster Rovers and Wealdstone in parallel friendlies on Saturday, the Dons’ attention turned to their only home pre-season friendly of the 2025 summer season.
That test had originally been scheduled to be against Bristol City, but after the Championship side pulled out, they instead took on the reigning EFL Trophy winners Peterborough.
Summer signings Gethin Jones, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Aaron Collins and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy all made their home debuts as a new look side looked to prepare for their first full season under boss Paul Warne, who took over as the Dons’ Head Coach back in April.
The best chance in the early stages for either side was wafted into the stands by Joe Tomlinson as the former Peterborough man fired wide from a half-cleared free-kick.
But MK Dons would take the lead through a combination of two of their new recruits. Mendez-Laing, once of Peterborough, picked up the ball down the Dons’ right and his cross found Collins, whose header beat Alex Bass to open the scoring for the hosts.
The hosts had further opportunities, with Alex Gilbey having a shot blocked and Bass holding onto an angled header by Luke Offord.
But things weren’t smooth sailing for the hosts. Already missing Nathan Thompson and Laurence Maguire to injury, the Dons suffered another defensive injury blow as Sam Sherring pulled up while chasing a long ball down the host’s right flank and was forced to leave the pitch.
Peterborough took time to have their first major attack, but what they produced nearly paid dividends. Decent set-up work by Cian Hayes released Donnay O’Brien-Brady, whose shot beat home goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray only to bounce off the bar.
Each side exchanged an opportunity near the end of the half, with Bass keeping out Hepburn-Murphy before Lucca Mendonca had a looping header seep over the top at a Peterborough corner.
MacGillivray made a fine stop to keep out a Peterborough chance just after the break, while the Dons’ best chance after the break saw a lofted cross-shot by Collins bounce across goal and out.
Peterborough had opted to make 9 changes at half-time, retaining just goalkeeper Bass and midfielder Kyrell Lisbie, the latter of whom took his leave after the hour mark. At the same time as that change, MK Dons opted to make a further 5 alterations.
Shortly before taking his leave, MacGillivray made a flying stop to deny a goalbound strike by Declan Frith, while Jonathan Leko poked a strike wide shortly after coming off the bench for the hosts.
A disjointed second half looked to be heading for a conclusion with no goals. But with 8 minutes of the second half to play, Peterborough levelled. Set-up work by Frith and Jamie Dornelly ended up with the ball being squared to Conn-Clarke, who rifled a strike past substitute home keeper Connal Trueman.
Things duly got worse for the hosts, as Peterborough scored a second goal in six minutes to take the lead. A free-kick routine picked out Archie Collins, whose fine strike from range found the bottom corner.
MK Dons were unable to respond, as they were beaten in their sole home friendly before the big kick-off.
Warne’s side wrap up their pre-season commitments on Saturday when they travel to League One outfit Stevenage, before kicking off the 2025/26 season proper on Saturday August 2nd when they welcome Oldham Athletic to Stadium MK.
MK Dons: MacGillivray (Trueman 71) – Jones (Tripp 61), Sherring (Waller 25), Offord (Troso 75), Tomlinson (Sinclair-Linton 75) – Kelly (Lemonheigh-Evans 61), Thompson-Sommers (Lewis-Burgess 75) – Mendez-Laing (Nemane 45), Gilbey (Collar 61), Hepburn-Murphy (Leko 61) – Collins (Hendry 61)
Goal: Collins (16)

Milton Keynes and Central Bedfordshire will host a stage of the upcoming Tour of Britain cycle race.
The region will host stage three of the Lloyds Tour of Britain Men’s event on Thursday 4 September, which will be the first time Milton Keynes has hosted the race since 2008 and the first time it has visited Central Bedfordshire.
The event will start from Midsummer Boulevard in Central Milton Keynes before finishing on Woburn Street in Ampthill, Central Bedfordshire. A specific route between the start and end point will be confirmed later this month.
Further announcements about the host venues of the cycle tournament’s remaining stages, as well as the participating teams for the Lloyds Tour of Britain will be made over the coming weeks.
Cllr Mick Legg, Milton Keynes City Council’s Cabinet Member for Sport and Leisure, said, “Milton Keynes is truly a cycling city with more than 200 miles of redways, two national cycle routes and so many passionate cyclists. We’re excited to welcome the Lloyds Tour of Britain back to our city and it promises to be a fantastic celebration for all our cycling enthusiasts.”
Cllr Adam Zerny, Leader of Central Bedfordshire Council, added, “We’re incredibly proud to be hosting a stage of the Lloyds Tour of Britain cycle race for the very first time. Many of us remember the moment we were inspired to take up a sport, so perhaps amongst those who watch the athletes whizz past them in September will be a future cycling champion. We hope it will be a thrilling day for all residents and visitors alike and are looking forward to welcoming the riders and celebrating this world-class sporting event with our communities.”
The Lloyds Tour of Britain Men begins in East Suffolk on Tuesday 2 September, with an opening leg between Woodbridge and Southwold, followed by a second stage in Suffolk at Stowmarket.
Jonathan Day, Managing Director of British Cycling Events, added, “It is great to be working with Milton Keynes City Council and Central Bedfordshire Council to bring the Lloyds Tour of Britain Men to their communities this September.
“Over the coming weeks we look forward to sharing more exciting details about this year’s race with fans and building up to what will be another incredible edition of the Lloyds Tour of Britain.”

Police are appealing for witnesses following a fatal road traffic collision in Milton Keynes.
The incident happened just after 5.30am this morning (20/7), when a collision occurred between a pedestrian and a Volkswagen Passat on H9 Groveway, at the junction with Simpson Drive.
Sadly, the pedestrian, a 19-year-old woman, was declared deceased at the scene. Her next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers. The Volkswagen driver did not suffer any injuries.
Road closures were in place between the junction with Newport Road and the Walton Drive roundabout. These have since been lifted.
Lead investigating officer, Police Sergeant Matt Cadmore of the Serious Collison Investigation Unit, said: “Tragically, a woman has died following this collision. Our thoughts are with her loved ones at this extremely difficult time and we have specially-trained officers supporting the deceased woman’s family.
“I am appealing for anyone who saw the collision to contact us.
“I am also appealing for anyone with a dash-camera who was driving on either carriageway of H9 Groveway at around 5.30am this morning, to please check their recordings and let us know if they captured anything that could help our investigation.
“You can get in touch by calling 101 or via our website, quoting reference number 43250365617.”

Luton Town have signed goalkeeper Josh Keeley, who joins on a permanent basis from Premier League side Spurs.
The goalkeeper arrives at Kenilworth Road after impressing last season on loan in League One with Leyton Orient, with the keeper moving after failing to agree a new contract with Spurs.
No transfer fee was disclosed, while Keeley has signed a contract of undisclosed length at Kenilworth Road.
The 22-year-old impressed on loan in the third tier of English football with Leyton Orient last season. Keeley kept 16 clean sheets in 36 games for the East London-based club, in a season in which the O’s reached the League One play-offs, narrowly losing to Charlton Athletic at Wembley in the final.
Keeley’s recognition saw him named as the club’s Young Player of the Year, while he also managed to hit national headlines when he scored an injury time equaliser in an FA Cup match between Leyton Orient and Oldham Athletic in November.
The deal makes Keeley Luton’s 7th new signing ahead of the upcoming season as the Hatters seek to bounce back after enduring consecutive relegations from the Premier League to League One.
Matt Bloomfield told the Luton website that he was very happy to bring Keeley to the club, with the Luton manager saying the keeper represented a figure of great potential for the season ahead.
He said, “Josh is a young, agile, athletic goalkeeper who had a great season last year in League One.
“He is an excellent shot-stopper and can play out from the back and sweep up behind the defence.
“We’re pleased to acquire a goalkeeper of his potential who already has plenty of experience.
“To be able to add someone of Josh’s pedigree and quality to the club is a real statement. He’s someone of big potential that we’re excited to add to our group.”