
Plans have been announced for the Milton Keynes City of Codes and Light Festival, which takes place in the city this month.
Organised by the Milton Keynes Islamic Arts and Culture, the festival takes place between October 1 and 22, and features a city-wide celebration of culture, science, technology and creativity.
Venues across Milton Keynes will host Constellations of Stars: Echoes Across the Sky during the month, with this year’s festival celebrating the work of Islamic astronomers such as al-Sufi and Ali Qushji and invites visitors to experience the night sky as a shared story connecting cultures and generations.
The festival features interactive installations, immersive projections, live performances, workshops, exhibitions, and community events.
Locations hosting events include Bletchley Park, MK Central Library, the centre:mk and multiple over locations across the city.
The two centre-piece events take place on October 4 and 21/22.
On Saturday (4/10), Mind & Matter Projection will see a large-scale projection by multimedia creative studio Limbic Cinema, illuminating the MK Central Library with the story of astronomy from ancient stargazers to modern discovery. The projection will start at 7:15PM.
This event is then followed by the Lantern Parade, which is a procession led by artist Emma Garofalo, featuring willow lanterns created by local school groups inspired by stars and constellations. Starting from the MK Central City Library at 7:35PM, the parade will weave through the city ending at the John Lewis Car Park, Milton Keynes.
In addition, there will also be a display entitled In Infinity, with an immersive galaxy installation created with Open University students combining a solar system of stars with thermal imaging. This show is available for guests to see from 6PM at the John Lewis Car Park, Milton Keynes.
Street food and live music will also be held at the John Lewis Car Park as part of the event.
The 21st and 22nd, meanwhile, features TEAM Workshops, with interactive science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics activities designed to inspire young people.
Talks will also be held in the form of presentations from Ruhee S Kahar and Dr. Alice Dumford exploring astronomy and space science.
Exhibitions showcasing interactive installations and artworks, while there will also be an evening performance featuring a universe of stars, music, and movement with the Turkish Whirling Sufi Dancers on Tuesday 21st October, 6–7.30pm at Middleton Hall, centre:mk
All the main events are free for spectators to enter. For more event information and participation opportunities contact: [email protected]

Local political figures in Milton Keynes have provided their reactions to the announcement that the city is under consideration for a new town scheme launched by the government.
A report published by the national Labour government on Sunday (28/09) listed Milton Keynes as one of 12 areas of the UK recommended as a possible location for a new town. Locations as well as MK included new sites in Oxfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cheshire, Gloucestershire and Worcestershire, as well as urban development plans in London, Plymouth, Leeds and Manchester.
The report by the government’s New Town Taskforce was to meet a pledge in the government’s manifesto during last year’s election to build 1.5 million homes by the time of the next election, scheduled to take place in 2029.
When the report was published, the government said that an environmental assessment will take place before a final decision is made on whether to proceed.
Proposals for Milton Keynes would see new houses built in areas to the north and east of the city’s existing boundaries, along with proposals for a mass public transit system that would reach Central Milton Keynes.
In a statement, Cllr Pete Marland, Leader of Milton Keynes City Council, said, “The announcement that Milton Keynes could be part of the next generation of new towns is a massive opportunity for our city. We know here that to do growth well, it needs to be done properly. We welcome the change to discuss investment in a new public transport system, more affordable homes and more powers to deliver community infrastructure with the government, and will be working hard to get started as quickly as possible.”
The report was also praised by Milton Keynes’ 3 MPs.
Chris Curtis, MP for MK North, said, “I am delighted that the success of Milton Keynes so far has been recognised, and that the New Town Taskforce has identified our city as a prime location the build new affordable homes the next generation of people who grew up here need.”
Emily Darlington, MP for Milton Keynes Central, added, “We know that we need to carry on attracting that inward investment and supporting local businesses to grow in a vibrant city centre. I’ll be working with the taskforce and council to ensure that our city centre gets the investment it needs to supercharge our economy.”
Callum Anderson, Buckingham and Bletchley’s MP, also commented, “The report by the New Town Taskforce is a massive chance to really work with the government to ensure we get the right investment into our area, not only for the fantastic new communities we can develop, but for areas like Bletchley, so everyone can benefit from growth.”
Meanwhile, the proposals were criticised by leaders of the Milton Keynes Conservative party, who described the proposals as “reckless expansion”.
Cllr Shazna Muzammil-Cook, Leader of the Conservative Group, said, “Of course, we need more homes, and I am not a NIMBY. But I am worried that we are losing everything that makes Milton Keynes unique and running the risk of just becoming another crowded city like Manchester. It’s great that investment could come to MK – but why don’t we fix the basics first? Our roads are collapsing, flooding gets worse every year, schools and GPs are already overstretched, and we still only have one hospital. Building at this scale without fixing what’s broken first is reckless.”

A renovation of Central Milton Keynes and expansion of the city have been proposed among the government’s plans to build new towns in England.
A report naming Milton Keynes as an area of focus was published by a taskforce set-up by the UK’s Labour government last year, with their findings announced today (28/09) to coincide with the their party conference taking place in Liverpool this week.
Proposals say that the idea would involve, “renewal of Milton Keynes city centre and expanding its periphery, alongside a new mass transit system.”
The idea is alongside 11 other propositions in locations across England, including further new towns in Oxfordshire, Bedfordshire, Devon, Cheshire and Gloucestershire, and urban development proposals in London, Bristol, Leeds and Manchester.
Although Milton Keynes has been listed as a possibility, the government response to the report stated that at this stage sites, their priority sites for development include Tempsford in Bedfordshire, Crews Hill in North London and Leeds South Bank. The government has said they want to start construction on at least 3 settlements before the next election.
A Strategic Environmental Assessment will now be undertaken to understand the environmental implications of developing new towns and of the 12 sites recommended by the report. No final decisions on locations will be made until this assessment concludes and preferred locations could change as a result of the process.
In a statement, the government said, “The government will publish the draft proposals and final SEA for consultation in Spring, before confirming the locations that will be progressed as new towns soon after. This will be alongside a full government response to the New Towns Taskforce’s report.
“The government will be looking for assurance that any location can be effectively and efficiently delivered in partnership with local communities, has a clear economic purpose, and will support economic growth. Different delivery vehicles will also be tested to learn lessons for how future large settlements are delivered and to contribute to a wider transformation of housing supply.”
In the full report, the developments are suggested in something intended to unlock Milton Keynes’ potential.
The report reads, “With development commencing in the city centre and in urban extensions, a renewed town can help unlock the full growth potential of Milton Keynes.
“While the sites are not geographically contiguous, they are intrinsically linked by their economic and social connections, which would be further strengthened by an enhanced public transport network. The construction of a bridge will bind the northern development to the city centre, whilst the eastern site will catalyse ongoing development, accelerating at pace.”
The report also stated, “Milton Keynes is known for its distinctive design identity, which has led to a perception of domination by the car, with ample, low-cost parking in the city centre being a particular feature. The low-density nature of the city centre has also contributed to a lack of vibrancy and activity, including in the night-time economy.
“Despite this, there has been a credible shift away from the city’s initial 1970s vision and now there is a population of almost 300,000 people, with renewed city standards for modern living. The initial sites will be well-served by a proposed mass rapid transit system. The city centre inclusion will create an engine to facilitate peripheral growth, providing the economic heart for the expanded city.”
Milton Keynes City Council wrote on social media that they would seek to involve local communities as the ideas develop.
They said, “The New Towns Taskforce has recommended Milton Keynes for development in Government plans to build the next generation of new towns. This would mean new facilities, more jobs and homes, and new dynamism for our city centre. We’ll involve communities as plans develop.”

The Milton Keynes-based radio station MKFM has celebrated 10 years of broadcasting on FM radio.
The community radio station began broadcasting on FM radio in 2015, having previously had online and digital radio broadcasts after its launch in 2011.
Now based from a broadcast studio at Stadium MK, home of football club MK Dons, the station plays breakfast, midday, afternoon and evening shows, with shows offering news, chat, music, sport, business and community outreach for local organisations.
In a statement, MKFM’s director Joanne Ronan said, “It has been an exciting and successful 10 years as an FM broadcaster.
“I can’t believe a decade has gone by so quickly and, within that time, we have made so many brilliant in-roads into the work we wanted to achieve.
“That includes providing a first class radio station that local people want to tune in and listen to. It means supporting local businesses and helping them to grow with us in Milton Keynes. And it means backing the city’s schools and charities as we all try to make Milton Keynes an even better place to live.
“I am excited and looking forward to the next decade of MKFM.”
The station broadcasts in the Milton Keynes area on 106.3FM, along with 95.0FM in the Wolverton and Stony Stratford area and on 102.1FM in the Bletchley area.
MKFM can be found on DAB Digital Radio across Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire, and online on the MKFM website.

Northamptonshire-based bakery chain Butterwick Bakery has closed down 12 of its 14 outlets across Southern England.
The bakery chain, based in Corby, has announced it will be closing down a majority of outlets, retaining only branches in Northampton and Rushden.
Outlets marked for closure include locations in Corby, Kettering, Milton Keynes, Rugby and Market Harborough, which all closed with immediate effect as per a statement released by the company on social media earlier this week. It is estimated over 60 employees have lost their jobs as a result of the move.
In their statement, they said that the decision had been as a result of a rise in operating costs.
They said, “It is with deep regret that we announce the closure of all Butterwick stores with immediate effect, apart from our Rushden Lakes and Northampton St Giles locations.
“This decision has not been made lightly. Despite tireless efforts to secure all stores and protect every role, the continued rise in operating costs and significant changes in customer spending habits have left us unable to sustain the business in its current form.
“We are heartbroken for the impact this has on our incredible team members, who have worked with such passion and dedication to deliver the warm, welcoming Butterwick experience that so many of you have come to love. We are immensely proud of every one of them and deeply grateful for their commitment.
“Looking ahead, however, this is not the end of Butterwick – it’s the beginning of an exciting new chapter. By focusing on Rushden and Northampton, we will be returning to our roots: an authentic in-store bakery experience where craft, freshness, and creativity come first.”